Wow, this article was really touching. This is the one C heard and started crying. It’s about losing a loved-one, in this case, a child of 8 months old.
One of the things I love most about this article is what it says about the “plain and precious truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that have been restored”:
This causes me to ask myself the question:
- Do people like Mandy recognize the plain and precious truths they have left if and when they leave the Church?
- Or are they so deceived that they don’t even realize what they’ve lost?
I’m not sure if asking these questions is really something that will help me or not, but hopefully it at least reminds me of what I have and what I need to be grateful for.
The Plain and Precious Truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
I think I’ll write down some of theplain and precious truths I currently recognize about the LDS Church doctrine:
- God is our Father
- His Son, Jesus Christ, is our Savior and Redeemer and mediator with the Father
- The Holy Ghost testifies of God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ
- They are one in purpose but three separate beings
- Christ established His Church in his time with three main pillars: apostles, priesthood, and revelation
- That same Church and establishment has been restored to the earth today
- We have a living prophet who leads and guides this Church through prophecy, revelation and priesthood power
- Through the priesthood, we perform sacred ordinances and blessings like baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, temple ordinances, and blessings of comfort and for sickness
- The priesthood is the power to act in God’s name and perform His work on the earth
- Heavenly Father has revealed another testament of Jesus Christ that works with the Bible to help us come unto Christ. It’s called the Book of Mormon
- The Book of Mormon is a compilation of writings of prophets that lived in the Americas between 600 B.C. and 400 A.D.
- They wrote down their experiences, both temporal and spiritual, on golden plates
- The Book of Mormon is the word of God. It works together with the Bible to clarify doctrines and help us follow the teachings of Jesus Christ
- The Book of Mormon teaches the Gospel in a clear and concise way in order to avoid confusion and misinterpretation
- The Holy Ghost will and does testify of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, and all other scriptures, if and when we seek for its influence in our lives
- Through modern-day revelation, we continue to receive guidance from Heavenly Father via His apostles and prophets and also via personal revelation
- Baptism is a saving ordinance that can be performed for those who have faith and repent when they are accountable (8 years old or older)
- Through the sealing power of the priesthood, we believe a family can be sealed together forever and not just until “death do [we] part”
- We lived before we came to this earth in pre-mortal life. There we chose the Plan of Happiness, Christ’s plan, where we would come to earth, receive a body, and be given free agency to choose who we would follow
- This life is a time to prepare to meet God
- The choices we make in this life will effect how comfortable we feel in the presence of God when we return to Him after this life
- After this life we will go to the Spirit World. We will eventually all be resurrected and be judged according to the desires of our hearts and the things we did in this life
- Because of missionary work, all people will have the chance to accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ, either in this life or in the life hereafter
- Through the grace of our Father in Heaven, ALL people will receive immortality – overcoming physical death and living forever
- Because of the laws of justice and mercy, we will be held accountable for the things we do in this life, both good and bad
- Christ will be our advocate with the Father: he’s already paid the price for our sins and imperfections; we can repent and come unto Him and we will be forgiven
- Repentance is a gift from God and allows us to put off the natural man and become more like Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father
- Through direction from Heavenly Father, Christ created the earth and everything on it
I’m sure there are many other plain and precious truths that I’m leaving out, but this is what came to mind.
I’m grateful for the talk I read today. I want to share it with John and Mimi, who recently lost their 4 year old daughter.
I’m grateful to know the Plan of Happiness. I hope that I will always be looking to Him and following His teachings in my life.