To help the children develop faith in Jesus Christ so they will stand for the right.
Show the children an umbrella (or pretend to have an umbrella) and a Book of Mormon. Ask how the two items might be similar. Help the children understand that an umbrella will not protect us from rain unless we open it and stand under it. Similarly, the Book of Mormon cannot increase our faith in Jesus Christ until we open it, prayerfully study it, and live its teachings.
Invite the children to open their copies of the Book of Mormon and learn how two missionaries had enough faith to cause the walls of a prison to tumble to the ground.
I agree with this so much. It’s all about putting on the “armor of God”. Not only have I felt the power of the scriptures in my life when I’m opening them and studying them; but I’ve also felt the lack of power when I do nothing with them.
Questions to Consider for the Lesson
- How did Zeezrom feel when he realized he had blinded the minds of the people? (Alma 14:6.)
- 6 And it came to pass that Zeezrom was astonished at the words which had been spoken; and he also knew concerning the ablindness of the minds, which he had caused among the people by his blying words; and his soul began to be charrowed up under a dconsciousness of his own guilt; yea, he began to be encircled about by the pains of hell.
- 7 And it came to pass that he began to cry unto the people, saying: Behold, I am aguilty, and these men are spotless before God. And he began to plead for them from that time forth; but they reviled him, saying: Art thou also possessed with the devil? And they spit upon him, and bcast him out from among them, and also all those who believed in the words which had been spoken by Alma and Amulek; and they cast them out, and sent men to cast stones at them.
- Why do people sometimes persecute those who believe in Heavenly Father?
- What did the people of Ammonihah do to Zeezrom and those who believed Alma and Amulek? (Alma 14:7, 9.)
- As the sorrowing Alma and Amulek watched the scriptures and the innocent wives and children burning, what did the Holy Ghost tell Alma? (Alma 14:11.)
- Why didn’t Heavenly Father allow Alma to save the people from the fire?
- What happens to righteous people who die in defense of the truth? (Alma 60:13.)
- For the Lord suffereth the arighteous to be slain that his justice and bjudgment may come upon the wicked; therefore ye need not suppose that the righteous are lost because they are slain; but behold, they do enter into the rest of the Lord their God.
- Why do you think Alma and Amulek were able to endure their awful persecutions? What can you do to try to gain the faith in Jesus Christ that Alma and Amulek had? How does standing for the right take courage?
- While Alma and Amulek were in prison, what were they given the power to do? (Alma 14:25–28.)
- Why do you think the people of the city ran away from Alma and Amulek? (Alma 14:29.)
- Why was Zeezrom sick with a burning fever? (Alma 15:3.)
- What made it possible for Zeezrom to be healed both physically and spiritually? (Alma 15:6–8.)
- After he was healed and baptized, what did Zeezrom do? (Alma 15:12.)
- What are you doing now to share the gospel with others?
- How can you prepare to serve a full-time mission?
- What happened to Amulek because he was a missionary? (Alma 15:16.)
- What did Alma prophesy would happen to the people of Ammonihah if they refused to repent? (Alma 9:18.)
- How was this prophecy fulfilled? (Alma 15:15; 16:2–3, 9–10.)
- What have you learned from the story of Alma and Amulek that will help you have faith in Jesus Christ and stand for the right?
Who else in the history of the Gospel of Jesus Christ has had to make great sacrifices in defense of what is right?
- Joseph of Egypt
- The Twelve Apostles during Jesus’ time
- Joseph Smith
After doing this study, I read the article from General Conference: Converted to His Gospel Through His Church.
I’m excited to share parts of this talk with the families we home teach.
I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it’s true. I know the Church helps me live the Gospel. I know the ordinances performed in the Church are essential for salvation.
I’m grateful for my calling and for the opportunity I have to teach the Gospel and at the same time learn the Gospel and apply it in my life.