Today was a good day.
I’m grateful for the following things:
- That Becky and I went on a date to celebrate our 8th anniversary
- That I got to go with the kids to Seven Peaks one last time and that I felt good about how things were handled there
- That I set goals for August, which I’m working hard to achieve
- That we got a lot of good projects done today around the house as a family
- That I’m slowly but surely getting back in to some sort of routine for the program
- That I was able to go to the meeting on Thursday and share my thoughts and listen to others
I’m grateful for the gift of free agency. I’m grateful that I have an understanding of the Atonement of Christ.
On our date tonight, Becky and I talked about the tough things our kids are going to have to go through. We talked about teaching them the WHY behind the laws and ordinances of the gospel – both the spiritual why’s and the temporal why’s.
Temporal why’s would be the negative and positive consequences that result from doing what’s right (or wrong).
In the case of viewing pornography, the temporal consequences could be the following:
- Losing one’s agency to choose because of addiction
- Looking at women as an object instead of a daughter of God
- Lusting after women
- Not being able to find the best woman to marry because of lack of focus on what’s most important
- Guilt and remorse for doing something we know we shouldn’t
- Lusting which then leads to acting out in the form of promiscuity, rape, etc.
- Other sins that can come because of pornography addiction: fornication, adultery, etc.
- Not being worthy of the Spirit to guide you
- Missing out on all the blessings that God has prepared for you if you do His will
- Not having the opportunity to serve a mission and touch people’s lives
- Not being worthy to enter the temple or partake of the Sacrament
- Not being worthy to enter in to the presence of God because of uncleanliness
- Not being worthy to use the priesthood to help others and serve God
The interesting thing is, as I write this, I realized that my lesson tomorrow is on David and Bathsheba. It will be good to talk to my 10 and 11 year old boys about the Why’s behind David’s decisions and how his decisions will effect his life forever.
I am grateful to be writing out my thoughts.