I’m giving the lesson next week and wanted to get started on the right foot by looking over the material today.
The topic is on the Good Samaritan and the objective is to teach the children to be nice and to love everyone. “To help each child have a desire to show love to all people.”
My initial thoughts and questions:
What experiences have I had related to showing love to all people?
- Helping the poor community in Chile to move their entire little area into another location.
- Moving people in our last ward in Springville.
- Helping neighbors shovel their snow.
- Cleaning up the kitchen after lunch to show my wife I care about her.
- Taking the kids out to play when I could be doing something else for work.
- Going on bike rides with my family.
- Keeping the commandments and being worthy of the Spirit shows my love for God.
- Calling my parents to say hello and tell them how things are going.
- Getting projects done around the house for Becky with a good attitude.
What lessons did I learn about this on my mission?
- The service family.
- Helping the man paint his house even though he never came to Church and didn’t want to talk to us about the Gospel.
- Helping “la feria” clean up after a long day.
- Telling a sister missionary that was having a hard time that I loved her and was pleased with the work she was doing.
How does this topic apply to how I treat my family, both children and wife?
- The more I love my family into doing things, the better the feeling we have in our home.
- The less I yell, the better.
- The more attention I give to the little things, the happier I’ll be.
- The more I help around the house, the more I show my love for my family.
- My attitude has a strong influence, both positive and negative, on how my family feels about me.
What are ways I can show love to others in my everyday life?
- Look for opportunities to serve others.
- Say hello to people and be honestly interested in how they’re doing.
- “Seek first to understand, then to be understood.”
I’ve read over the scriptural accounts:
This is one that I really like 1 John 4:20–21:
20 If a man say, I love God, and ahateth his bbrother, he is a cliar: for he that loveth not his dbrother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not eseen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who aloveth God love his brother also.
How do we inherit eternal life? Luke 10:27–28
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy aheart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt alive.
How do we show our love to Heavenly Father? John 14:15, 21