Tonight was a great night at group. It was nice to see Mathew, Steve and a few others there that I hadn’t seen for a few weeks.
Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to talk directly to Sterling, although I really liked what he shared about frustrations that lead to potentially acting out – so true.
We talked about Step 4 tonight and a theme that seemed to keep reoccurring was “complacency”. One of the guys talked about how he noticed this as a pattern in the Book of Mormon:
Trials > Prosperity > Riches > Blessings > Complacency > Pride > Destruction…
What came to mind as I listened to his point was that complacency and consistency are antonyms. Either I’m being consistent and doing what I need to do, or I’m being complacent, which leads to pride and eventual destruction, or, in my case, relapse.
I felt really good about the meeting tonight and feel I’m developing new friendships with the people attending.
I really feel good about the goal to write in my journal consistently and feel it’s getting me back on the right track.
Next step: start answering the questions from the manual and make progress in the steps.
Things I’m Grateful For Today
- That I had a meeting with Dane that didn’t end with me being really upset about something
- That I got to coach my little boy in another soccer practice today (although it was a bit tougher to keep them focused)
- That I got to go to the meeting tonight and really wanted to be there – great feeling to have back
- That I’m being more consistent in writing in my journal
- That Becky and I had a good talk tonight about my resentments and about treating people that bug me as if they are “sick” too – like the Big Book talks about
- That we got to watch a couple episodes of “The Office” re-runs
- That I got to play softball yesterday and that we won
- That I get along really well with the direct colleagues that I manage
- That I get to work with Jeff G. on a potentially huge project
- That I recognize areas where I can be better and more patient with my kids
- That it’s time to go to bed