I’ve been thinking back on what steps I took to get started with my sponsor and wanted to share some of them as a “checklist” of sorts:
- Read and Study the “Beware of Pride” talk
- Purchase the “Big Book” – AA Book
- Start at Step 1 and send me an answer to one question per day via email
- Once you’ve done this consecutively for 2 weeks, we can begin phone conversations too
- Meet one time per week to discuss progress (via phone or in person – preferably in person if possible)
- Continue sending one email per day with an answer to the step question you are on
- Begin sending an email in the evening giving a “personal inventory” of your day
I’ve learned that change is a decision that requires commitment and focus.
I’ve learned that a Sponsor, while very helpful, is not in charge of making a person change or nagging them to keep their commitments.
I’ve learned that without consistency, I can and will fall back into old and dangerous patterns of behavior.
Hope these tips help.